The forced enslavement of Black Americans marked the beginnings of a system of racial injustices that is woven into the fabric of every part of our society, including education, healthcare, the criminal justice system, policing, housing, and so much more. Generations of civil rights activists have fought for and achieved sizable gains in the fight for racial justice but deep inequities remain and we must come together as a nation to address them. We must take the following steps to move towards accomplishing that by:
Criminal Justice System
- Closing the sentencing disparities between white americans and people of color
- Ending cash bail
- Ending the war on drugs
- Putting an end to mandatory minimums and 3 strikes laws
- Banning private prisons
- Abolishing the death penalty
- Stopping the police abuse of civil asset forfeiture and reform the laws surrounding it
- Focusing the criminal justice system on redemption and rehabilitation
- Dismantling the school-to-prison pipeline
- Mandating fully equitable funding of schools, so that schools in communities of color don’t get less funding than schools in predominantly white communities.
- Putting an end to the discrimination, segregation, and criminalization of children of color in public school districts.
- Ending overly harsh discriminatory disciplinary practices for minor offenses like tardiness and talking in class.
- Restoring the Voting Rights Act
- Instituting automatic voter registration
- Making election day a national holiday.
- Eliminating all voting ID laws
- Enfranchising all returning citizens who were previously convicted of a felony and served their time to society.
- Ending voter suppression and gerrymandering
- Taking steps to close the racial wealth gap
- Ending redlining practices and housing discrimination
- Investing in affordable housing, make housing more affordable, and make it easier to own a home.
- Allowing post offices to offer banking services like check cashing, bill payments, savings accounts, and small loans
- Raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour.
- Providing Universal Pre-K for every family in the country